“GE Healthcare Camden Group has helped position us for success for both the short-term and into the future. Their thought leadership and practical experience have been invaluable over the years, and they’ve been instrumental in preparing us for a value-based payment environment.”
Chris Van Gorder, FACHE, President and CEO, Scripps Health
Scripps Health is a $2.5 billion private, nonprofit, integrated health system based in San Diego that treats 500,000 patients annually at facilities that include:
- Five acute-care hospital campuses
- More than 2,600 affiliated physicians and 13,000 employees
- Scripps Clinic and Scripps Coastal Medical Center, a network of integrated facilities with specialists from more than 60 medical and surgical specialties at 23 outpatient centers and clinics
A leader in the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of disease, Scripps was named by Thomson Reuters as one of the top 10 health systems in the nation for providing high quality, safe and efficient patient care. To meet their mission of providing superior health services, Scripps has engaged GE Healthcare Camden Group for healthcare business advisory services on a wide range of initiatives since 2001.
How we helped
We have assisted Scripps Health with a variety of projects including conducting system-wide strategic planning which included targeted growth strategies; evaluating potential medical groups to acquire; and positioning for value-based payment. Highlights of our work include:
- Ambulatory care strategy: We developed a system ambulatory care strategy which Scripps continues to successfully deploy throughout San Diego County, including opening a free-standing cancer center for radiation and medical oncology services and an ambulatory “super site” – a 100,000 square foot, multispecialty ambulatory center.
- Master facility planning: We have also completed five-, ten-, and fifteen-year utilization and resource need projections for each of six key clinical service lines in support of master facility planning at five community hospital campuses. These analyses were used to determine which programs would be centralized versus decentralized across those facilities.
- Physician-hospital alignment: Much of our work with Scripps includes identifying appropriate organizational and financial relationships and structures between the hospitals, physician organizations, and independent physicians as well as with external organizations, such as affiliated IPAs and managed medical groups. This encompasses various physician-hospital alignment strategies, such as bundled payments which we are currently helping them implement.
- ACO Development: We assessed Scripps’ ACO capabilities and readiness to start an ACO organization for its employees, commercial health plans, and Medicare advantage plans, and helped them establish ACO guiding principles, funds flow, and structure.
A valued client since 2001, we are proud to support Scripps and their efforts to deliver quality care and make a positive, measurable difference in the health of individuals in their communities.